Educational Access Scheme

Educational Access Scheme


The Educational Access Scheme (EAS) can help you if you have experienced circumstances that negatively affected your most recent studies.

If you are eligible for EAS, you may get OP or rank adjustments that improve your chances of getting an offer. 

If you are eligible for the Financial Hardship category, you may also get financial assistance from institutions, such as scholarships or bursaries.

Who can apply?

You can apply for EAS if you are applying for tertiary study through QTAC.

You don't have to be in Year 12 or currently studying to apply for EAS, but most EAS categories relate to circumstances that affected your most recent studies. The Financial Hardship category relates to your current and recent financial circumstances.

EAS may not be able to compensate you for things such as:

  • not completing secondary school
  • changing school subjects by choice, resulting in you not meeting entry requirements
  • missed time from school for activities that are a personal choice (for example, sport, musical or cultural activities).

How to apply

You can apply for EAS when you lodge your QTAC application.

To apply for EAS after lodging your QTAC application, select an EAS category below to download the cover sheet and submit this to us with any required documentation. If you are not sure if EAS could help you, call us on 1300 467 822 so we can assist.

Cover sheets

An EAS cover sheet is a form that you fill out and attach to your supporting documentation. You must submit a completed cover sheet and relevant documentation for each EAS category you apply for.

Year 12 students applying for the Educational Disruption, Personal Illness or Disability, or English Language Difficulty categories also need to have their school fill out a section of the cover sheet.

You can download EAS cover sheets below:

Financial Hardship cover sheet (PDF 725.4KB)
Home Environment and Responsibilities cover sheet (PDF 513.5KB)
English Language Difficulty cover sheet (PDF 480.3KB)
Personal Illness and Disability cover sheet (PDF 369.1KB)
Educational Disruption cover sheet (PDF 410.8KB)

Supporting documentation

In some instances, EAS can assist without supporting documentation. Find out about personal circumstances under the Financial Hardship category.

Where documentation can assist your application, we will email you soon after you apply and ask you to complete an EAS cover sheet and submit supporting documents.

The supporting documentation needed for each EAS category is outlined on the relevant cover sheet.

If you cannot provide the documentation, you should submit a statement explaining why you cannot provide it. You should also include any alternative documents that may support your case.

How to submit documentation

You can upload your documents to your application by logging in to Application Services and going to Outstanding Documents. 

If the document you need to provide isn't listed in Outstanding Documents, you can post your documents to:

PO Box 1331
MILTON, QLD 4064 Australia

When to submit EAS documentation

Refer to Key Dates and Fees for documentation due dates for scheduled offer rounds. 

For other offer rounds, submit your documentation as soon as possible after we ask you for it so it can help your application as soon as possible. 

EAS categories

You can apply for as many EAS categories as you like, but when we email you a cover sheet you must submit the cover sheet with the required supporting documentation. Select a category for more information.

Financial Hardship

You can apply for this category if you are from a low-income background and residing in Australia. 

If you are financially independent, you can qualify for the Financial Hardship category if:

If you are under 22 and are financially supported by your parents or guardians, you are considered to be dependent. You can qualify for the Financial Hardship category if:

Financial hardship is assessed based on your total household income. The information you need to provide depends on your personal circumstances.

Download the Financial Hardship cover sheet (PDF 725.4KB).

Home Environment and Responsibilities

You can apply for this category if you have experienced:

  • family conflict (significant dysfunction)
  • abuse (domestic, physical, psychological, sexual)
  • substance abuse (self or family member)
  • legal separation or divorce (self or family member)
  • home affected by disaster
  • caring for a disabled or seriously ill household member
  • serious illness or death of a household member
  • lack of stable housing
  • caring for sibling(s) in excess of normal domestic responsibilities
  • inability to complete education due to family situation, and/or
  • lack of support for education due to cultural demands
  • disruption as a result of being in or recently leaving foster care/out-of-home care.

Download the Home Environment and Responsibilities cover sheet (PDF 513.5KB).

English Language Difficulty

You can apply for this category if:

  • you have lived in Australia for less than 10 years, and
  • your most recent study was impacted by a profound level of difficulty communicating in English.

Usually, you can't apply if you have studied and been taught in English for more than five years. Some exceptions apply, especially if you don't speak English at home.

If you are hearing or speech impaired, you should apply for the Personal Illness or Disability category.

Download the English Language Difficulty cover sheet (PDF 480.3KB).

Personal Illness or Disability

You can apply for this category if you have experienced:

  • a long-term or recurrent medical or psychiatric condition
  • a serious, short-term medical or psychiatric condition, and/or
  • a learning, sensory, physical, psychological or other disability or disorder.

You shouldn't apply if you have had:

  • a mild or short illness
  • a long term but minor medical condition or disability
  • an illness that is well managed with medical treatment and had a limited impact on your education.

Normally, in these cases, your school should make arrangements to help you.

Download the Personal Illness or Disability cover sheet (PDF 369.1KB).

Educational Disruption

You can apply for this category if you have experienced:

  • significant disruption to your school (eg buildings destroyed)
  • rural, regional or remote schooling in RA3_RA5 areas
  • excessive change of teachers or lack of subject choices
  • frequent change of school and/or change of school system in Years 11 and/or 12
  • peer conflict in Years 11 and/or 12.

Download the Educational Disruption cover sheet (PDF 410.8KB).


Page last updated: 28 Nov 2018