Skip to content

English language proficiency

This information is for domestic applicants applying for courses through QTAC.

If you are an international applicant, contact the relevant institution’s international student office for their English language requirements.

If you are applying to a direct-entry institution, contact the relevant institution.

You must be able to speak, write, read and comprehend English to a certain standard to be accepted into a course offered through QTAC.

This is known as ‘English language proficiency’.

You must demonstrate English language proficiency if:

  • English is not your first language, and
  • you haven’t taken a course taught entirely in English in a country approved by the relevant institution, and to a level (eg diploma) and standard (eg pass/fail) they require. Contact the relevant institution for a list of approved countries.

Some courses with accreditation and/or registration requirements require you to have completed your secondary studies or other qualifications within a strict country list as well as having completed your studies in English. Examples of this are education and nursing courses. Please refer to the Institution requirements below for further details.

Demonstrating English language proficiency

To demonstrate your English language proficiency, either:

  • provide us with evidence of previous studies or qualifications, or
  • pass a relevant English language test (refer to English Language tests below) and send us your results. Note: You must sit the academic version, not the general version.

Study level/standard and test scores required

Institution policies – 2021/2022 admissions


English language tests
Other abbreviations
  • AQF – Australian Qualifications Framework
  • RATE – Register of Australian Tertiary Education
  • FTE – full-time equivalent
  • GPA – grade point average
  • n/a – not applicable
  • min – minimum accepted test results
  • TBC – to be confirmed
Approved countries

In the qualifications tables, where an institution indicates that a particular type of study must be from an approved country, you need to contact the relevant institution directly to find out what those approved countries are.

This information are subject to change.

Australian Catholic University

Bond University

Christian Heritage College (CHC)

CQUniversity Australia

Federation University

Griffith College

Griffith University (GU)

James Cook University (JCU)

Queensland University of Technology (QUT)

SAE Creative Media Institute (SAE)

Southern Cross University (SCU)

TAFE Queensland

The University of Queensland (UQ)

Torrens University Australia

University of New England (UNE)

University of Southern Queensland (USQ)


Generic filters

Form Successful

Thank you, the form has been sent. We've also sent you an email with all the details of your submission.

Payment Complete

Thank you, your payment has been successful. We've sent you an email with all the details of your order.

Generic filters