QTAC opened for 2021 Admissions applications on 4 August and saw the biggest ever opening fortnight. Despite uncertainty with the impact of COVID-19 and proposed higher education reforms [see Job-Ready Graduates package] the tertiary market is strong.
At the close of the Early Bird application date, 30 September 2020, QTAC had received 38,922 applications for study, commencing Semester 3 2020 through to Semester 2 2021. This represents an increase of 20.3% compared to 2019, a 6.5% increase when adjusted for the reduced Queensland Year 12 cohort in 2019.
Some Early Bird Insights Highlights (at 30 September)
- Interstate applicants for Queensland institutions are up 26.6%.
- Regional Qld year 12 applications have increased from 35.4% to 38.3% of the total.
- Early conditional offers: The introduction of QTAC’s Early Conditional Offer scheme saw over 1000 early conditional offers made to year 12’s. Students have accepted offers at higher than normal rates at 91%.
- Semester 1 2021 is tracking strongly with a 19.8% increase over 2019 (5.9% adjusted). Semester 3 first preferences have doubled (+64%) from 2019.
- The Educational Access Scheme (EAS) has seen an extra 3,352 current Year 12s lodge an EAS claim in their application, an increase of 55.5% over 2019. ‘Educational Disruption’ is the most common category being claimed by students.
- Interest in Health continues to dominate choices with 38% of all preferences.
- There is decreased interest in Creative Arts (-2.6% adjusted) and Management and Commerce ( -13.5% adjusted) – consistent with the downward trend from previous years.