Personal circumstances

Personal circumstances

If you are financially independent

  • If your only source of income is a Centrelink benefit, you only need to enter your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) in the QTAC application. We will confirm your information with Centrelink electronically.
  • If you receive income from sources other than Centrelink, you must document your gross income.

If you have a partner

If you have a partner, you must document their gross income, including a Centrelink Income Statement, if relevant.

If you are dependent

If you are under 22 years of age and are financially supported by your parents or guardians, you must show evidence of your parents' or guardians' gross income.

  • If your parents'/guardians' only income is a Centrelink benefit, you must provide a recent Centrelink income statement.
  • If your parents/guardians receive income other than a Centrelink benefit, you must document their gross income by providing Income Tax Returns for the 2017–2018 financial year.

Documenting gross household income

To document gross household income, you must provide a copy of the 2017–2018 financial year's Income Tax Return you and/or your partner or your parents/guardians provided to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Please note, this is not the Notice of Assessment that is sent to you by the ATO, as this does not include gross income. Your ATO Income Tax Return is the document that you (or your accountant) prepare, which shows all income and deductions claimed.

If your family income includes Centrelink benefits, you must also provide a recent Centrelink Income Statement.

Institution-determined thresholds

We calculate eligibility under Financial Hardship based on gross income. The figures below are indicative only and subject to change.

If your gross household income is less than the figures below, you are likely to be eligible in this category. Please note that the extent of financial investments will also be taken into account in determining eligibility.

If your household income is slightly higher (within 10%), it is still worth applying, as other factors can be taken into consideration.

If you or your family have experienced extreme financial situations such as recent bankruptcy or early pay out of super for medical reasons, please submit supporting documentation. We assess such situations case by case.

Single, no children $828
Couple combined, no children $1,431
Single, one dependent child $1,431
For each additional child $51


Page last updated: 19 Jul 2018