Deferment lets you delay starting your course. Usually, you can defer for up to a year, but some institutions let you defer for longer. Others do not allow deferment.

In most cases, you can defer when you respond to your QTAC offer. The institution contacts you to advise what to do next.

Institution deferment policies

Select an institution for information on their deferment policy.

Australian Catholic University

You can defer your undergraduate course for up to one year.  Deferment is not available for postgraduate courses.

Australian Maritime College

Successful applicants may apply to defer commencement of their studies. Deferrals may not be permitted in all courses, are not granted automatically and will not be granted to allow the commencement of another tertiary course.

To apply for a deferral to an offer made through QTAC contact the Coordinator Tertiary Admissions Centres by responding to your offer email.

Phone the Student Centre on 1300 363 864 for more information or visit Australian Maritime College's website.

Bond University

You cannot defer the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery - undergraduate or graduate entry.

Christian Heritage College

With the exception of the Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary) which cannot be deferred you can defer your semester 1 offer for six to twelve months. You may be able to defer your semester 2 offer for 6 months. Contact CHC on (07) 3347 7900 for more information.

CQUniversity Australia

You can defer most courses. You must accept your offer through QTAC then apply for deferment through CQUniversity. 

Griffith College

You can usually defer your course for one year. You may lose your deferred place if you apply for other courses. For more information and conditions contact Griffith College.

Griffith University

You can defer most undergraduate courses for all intakes on offer until Trimester 1 in the next calendar year.

Deferment is not available for Bachelor of Dental Health Science, Bachelor of Contemporary Australian Indigenous Art, Bachelor of Midwifery, Bachelor of Nursing - Advanced Standing, Bachelor of Nursing/Graduate Certificate in Paediatric Nursing (Advanced Standing), Bachelor of Physiotherapy or Queensland Conservatorium programs. 

You may lose your deferred place if you apply for other courses. For more information, contact Griffith University

James Cook University

You can apply to defer B education (Early Childhood and Education). You can defer other courses for up to 12 months. Longer deferment may be considered in special circumstances. Visit the JCU website for more information.

Queensland University of Technology

You can defer most courses for 12 months, except those with audition or portfolio entry requirements, Master courses, any course with future entry requirement changes and B Design (Honours) (Architectural Studies) – Advanced Standing Entry. QUT will contact you with ‘what happens next’ information after all offers have been finalised in mid-March (for semester 1 offers) and mid-August (for semester 2 offers). Visit the QUT website for more information, including on how to request 6, 18 and 24 months of deferment. 

SAE Creative Media Institute

You can defer for up to a year.

Southern Cross University

You must defer when responding to your offer through QTAC, and apply for deferment with Southern Cross University. Deferment is not automatically granted and is subject to final approval.

TAFE Queensland

You can apply to defer the Associate Degree in Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Creative Arts and Entertainment courses, and the Bachelor of Dental Prosthetics. You must respond to your QTAC offer with 'defer' and apply for deferment by contacting TAFE Queensland on (07) 3215 1447. Deferment is not permitted for any other courses. 

The University of Queensland

You can defer undergraduate and postgraduate programs offered through QTAC for up to one year if you are offered a place in semester 1, except where a program is being discontinued and in its final intake. Visit the UQ website for more information.

University of New England

You can apply to defer for up to two years. You must respond to your QTAC offer with 'defer' and apply for deferment through UNE directly. Visit UNE's website for more information.

University of Southern Queensland

You can defer all USQ programs except Bachelor of Midwifery.

University of the Sunshine Coast

You can defer your undergraduate course or the Tertiary Preparation Pathway for up to two years. You cannot defer postgraduate courses.

Page last updated: 05 Nov 2018