International applications

International applications

How do I apply?

You apply through QTAC if you are:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder (201 or 202), or
  • a New Zealand citizen.

If you do not belong to the citizenship/residency categories listed above, check with the institution first about how to apply if you are currently studying an Australian year 12 program in Australia or abroad, studying the International Baccalaureate in Australia or abroad or studying the NCEA or A levels in New Zealand.

If your circumstances are not listed above, you need to apply directly with an institution.

Important information for New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents

The Australian Government recently announced the Higher Education Reform Package 2017, which, subject to the passing of legislation, will remove Commonwealth support for many New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents starting a new higher education study program from 2018.

New Zealand citizens (except for special category visa holders who arrived in Australia as dependent minors and have satisfied the ten-year residency requirement) and most Australian permanent residents (except for permanent humanitarian visa holders) will become domestic full fee-paying students and will no longer be eligible for Commonwealth subsidies. These students, however, can access the Higher Education Loan Program (FEE-HELP) to defer payment of their tuition fees.

The outcome of this proposal is not expected to be known until the Australian Senate votes on the legislation in November 2017. In the meantime, some institutions may not release offers before November to applicants who are New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents.

For more information on the proposed changes, visit Study Assist.

What if my citizenship status changes?

Tell us in writing as soon as you become a domestic applicant.

If it is close to an offer round, call us on 1300 467 822 to check if we can amend your application in time. 

English language proficiency

Courses offered through QTAC are taught in English and students must be able to use the English language to the level set by the institution.

Institutions will advise how you can satisfy their English proficiency requirements.

NOTE: the English proficiency requirements listed on QTAC's website are for domestic applicants only.

Which language do I provide my documents in?

You don't need to submit documents unless we ask you to. 

If we ask you to, and if your documents are in a foreign language, you must submit copies of both:

  • the document in the original language
  • a full, official translation into English. Do not submit extract translations as they are not accepted.

Find out more about whether you need to provide documents, and how.

Where can I get my documents translated?


Page last updated: 22 Aug 2017