Choosing the right course and institution
Choosing the right course and institution can be hard, especially when there are so many options available.
Here are some things to consider when helping your child choose a course and/or institution:
- Does your child want to study close to home, or are they willing to travel? What costs are involved with travel?
- If the institution your child is interested in isn't close to home, are they willing to live on campus? If so, what accommodation options does the institution have?
- What student support services does the institution offer?
- Is the course your child is interested in offered at multiple institutions, or just one or two? This may be a factor in deciding where to study.
- Does the course match your child's skills and interests?
- Do the career opportunities offered by the course match your child's career aspirations?
- Would your child need to do further study after completing a course to reach their career goals?
- Does your child want to study full-time or part-time, on campus or externally? Some institutions offer flexible study options, while others require students to complete all their studies full-time, on campus.
Here are some online resources that can assist you and your child in choosing the right course and institution:
The Good Universities Guide (formerly Hobson's Course Finder)
The Good Universities Guide can help you find courses at Australian tertiary institutions, compare university ratings, and explore careers.
myfuture is a free career information service that assists career planning, career pathways and work transitions. It gives details of education and training providers, scholarships and courses Australia-wide.
Institution websites give information on courses, entry requirements, campuses and facilities, fees, scholarships, student support services and more.
QTAC Course Search
The QTAC Course Search lets you search for tertiary courses offered by institutions in Queensland and Northern New South Wales.
Visit other resources for links to more helpful websites.
Page last updated: 28 Sep 2016