Educational Access Scheme

Educational Access Scheme


The Educational Access Scheme (EAS) can help you if you have experienced circumstances that negatively affected your most recent studies.

If you are eligible for EAS, you may get bonus OPs or ranks that improve your chances of getting an offer. 

If you are eligible for the Financial Hardship category, you may also get financial assistance from institutions, such as scholarships or bursaries.

Who can apply?

You can apply for EAS if you are applying for tertiary study through QTAC.

You don't have to be in Year 12 or currently studying to apply for EAS, but most EAS categories relate to circumstances that affected your most recent studies. The Financial Hardship category relates to your current and recent financial circumstances.

EAS may not be able to compensate you for things such as:

  • not completing secondary school
  • changing school subjects by choice, resulting in you not meeting entry requirements
  • missed time from school for activities that are a personal choice (for example, sport, musical or cultural activities).

How to apply

You can apply for EAS when you lodge your QTAC application.

To apply for EAS after lodging your QTAC application, download and fill in the relevant cover sheet(s) and submit it to us with any required documentation. If you are not sure if EAS could help you, call us on 1300 467 822 so we can assist.

Supporting documentation

In some instances, EAS can assist without supporting documentation. Find out about personal circumstances under the Financial Hardship category.

Where documentation can assist your application, we will email you soon after you apply and ask you to complete an EAS cover sheet and submit supporting documents.

The supporting documentation needed for each EAS category is outlined on the relevant cover sheet.

If you cannot provide the documentation, you should submit a statement explaining why you cannot provide it. You should also include any alternative documents that may support your case.

Cover sheets

An EAS cover sheet is a form that you fill out and attach to your supporting documentation. 

Year 12 students applying for the Educational Disruption, Personal Illness and Disability or English Language Difficulty categories need to have their school fill out a section of the cover sheet.

How to submit documentation

Sorry, you can't email, scan, or submit photographs of your cover sheets and documents.

Please post them to:

PO Box 1331
MILTON, QLD 4064 Australia

Or hand deliver them to:

Level 4
154 Melbourne St
South Brisbane QLD 4101

When to submit EAS documentation

Refer to Key Dates and Fees for documentation due date for scheduled offer rounds. 

For other offer rounds, submit your documentation as soon as possible after we ask you for it so it can help your application as soon as possible. 

EAS categories

You can apply for as many EAS categories as you like, but when we email you a cover sheet you must submit the cover sheet with the required supporting documentation. Select a category for more information.

Financial Hardship

You can apply for this category if you are from a low-income background and residing in Australia. 

If you are financially independent, you can qualify for the Financial Hardship category if:

If you are under 22 and are financially supported by your parents or guardians, you are considered to be dependent. You can qualify for the Financial Hardship category if:


Financial hardship is assessed based on your total household income. The information you need to provide depends on your personal circumstances.

Download the Financial Hardship cover sheet (PDF 736.5KB).

Home Environment and Responsibilities

You can apply for this category if your home environment has made it difficult for you to study due to:

  • family conflict
  • abuse
  • separation or divorce
  • serious illness or death of a family member
  • lack of stable housing
  • caring responsibilities, or
  • limited school participation due to gender or family and/or cultural demands and expectations.

Caring responsibilities include:

  • being forced by circumstances beyond your control to be independent and care for yourself while you are still at school
  • caring for siblings or other family members (this does not include short term care eg babysitting siblings).

Download the Home Environment and Responsibilities cover sheet (PDF 273.6KB).

English Language Difficulty

You can apply for this category if:

  • you have lived in Australia for less than 10 years, and
  • your most recent study was impacted by a profound level of difficulty communicating in English.

Usually, you can't apply if you have studied and been taught in English for more than five years. Some exceptions apply, especially if you don't speak English at home.

If you are hearing or speech impaired, you should apply for the Personal Illness and Disability category.

Download the English Language Difficulty cover sheet (PDF 272.8KB).

Personal Illness or Disability

You can apply for this category if:

  • you have had a long term or recurrent illness or disability that impacted your education
  • your school couldn't fully compensate for your circumstances.

You shouldn't apply if you have had:

  • a mild or short illness
  • a long term but minor medical condition or disability
  • an illness that is well managed with medical treatment and had a limited impact on your education.

Normally, in these cases, your school should make arrangements to help you.

Download the Personal Illness or Disability cover sheet (PDF 126.8KB).

Educational Disruption

You can apply for this category if your education was disrupted by:

  • significant disruption to your school (eg buildings destroyed)
  • rural, regional or remote schooling
  • frequent change of teachers or lack of subject choices
  • frequent change of school and/or change of school system in Years 11 and 12
  • peer conflict.

Download the Educational Disruption cover sheet (PDF 272.3KB).


Page last updated: 11 Apr 2017