Educational Access Scheme

Educational Access Scheme


The Educational Access Scheme (EAS) can help you if you have experienced circumstances that negatively affected your most recent studies.

If you are eligible for EAS, you may get bonus OPs or ranks that improve your chances of getting an offer. If you are eligible for the Financial Hardship category, you may also get financial assistance from institutions, such as scholarships or bursaries.

Who can apply?

You can apply for EAS if you are applying for tertiary study through QTAC.

You don't have to be currently studying to apply for EAS, but most EAS categories relate to circumstances that affected your most recent studies. The Financial Hardship category relates to your current and recent financial circumstances.

How to apply

You can apply for EAS when you lodge your QTAC application.

To apply for EAS after lodging your QTAC application, you must print the cover sheets and submit them to us with your supporting documentation.

You can print cover sheets by selecting an EAS category below.

Cover sheets

A cover sheet is a form that you fill out and attach to your supporting documentation. Year 12 students applying for the Educational Disruption, Personal Illness and Disability or English Language Difficulty categories need to have their school fill out a section of the cover sheet.

For each EAS category that requires documentation, a cover sheet will be generated at the end of your online application. You will receive it as an attachment to your QTAC Pack. Your QTAC Pack will be emailed to you after you lodge your QTAC application. 

If you have received your QTAC Pack but can no longer access the email you can print cover sheets by selecting an EAS category below.

Supporting documentation

Because EAS is an evidence-based scheme, you must provide supporting documentation. Without this documentation, we cannot assess your EAS application.

The supporting documentation needed for each EAS category is outlined on the relevant cover sheet.

If you cannot provide the documentation, you should submit a statement explaining why you cannot provide it. You should also include any alternative documents that may support your case.

You must post your supporting documentation to PO Box 1331, Milton, Queensland 4064. Refer to Key Dates and Fees for due dates to submit documentation.

EAS categories

You can apply for as many EAS categories as you like, but when you receive a cover sheet in your QTAC Pack you must submit the cover sheet and required supporting documentation. Select a category for more information.

Financial Hardship

You can apply for this category if you are from a low-income background. 

If you are financially independent, you can qualify for the Financial Hardship category if:

If you are under 22 and are financially supported by your parents or guardians, you are considered to be dependent. You can qualify for the Financial Hardship category if:


Financial hardship is assessed based on your total household income. The information you need to provide depends on your personal circumstances.

Download the Financial Hardship cover sheet. (PDF 999.8KB)

Home Environment and Responsibilities

You can apply for this category if your home environment has made it difficult for you to study due to:

  • family conflict
  • abuse
  • separation or divorce
  • illness or death of a family member
  • lack of stable housing, or
  • caring responsibilities.

Caring responsibilities include:

  • being forced by circumstances beyond your control to be independent and care for yourself while you are still at school
  • caring for siblings or other family members (this does not include short term care eg babysitting siblings).

Download the Home Environment and Responsibilities cover sheet. (PDF 130.5KB)

English Language Difficulty

You can apply for this category if:

  • you have lived in Australia for less than 10 years, and
  • your most recent study was impacted by a profound level of difficulty communicating in English.

Usually, you can't apply if you have studied and been taught in English for more than five years. Some exceptions apply, especially if you don't speak English at home.

If you are hearing or speech impaired, you should apply for the Personal Illness and Disability category.

Download the English Language Difficulty cover sheet. (PDF 158KB)

Personal Illness and Disability

You can apply for this category if:

  • you have had a long term or recurrent illness or disability that impacted your education
  • your school couldn't fully compensate for your circumstances.

You shouldn't apply if you have had:

  • a mild or short illness
  • a long term but minor medical condition or disability
  • an illness that is well managed with medical treatment and had a limited impact on your education.

Normally, in these cases, your school should make arrangements to help you.

Download the Personal Illness and Disability cover sheet. (PDF 315KB)

Educational Disruption

You can apply for this category if your education was disrupted by:

  • significant disruption to your school (eg buildings destroyed)
  • rural, regional or remote schooling
  • frequent change of teachers or lack of subject choices
  • frequent change of school and/or change of school system in Years 11 and 12
  • peer conflict
  • limited school participation due to gender or family and/or cultural demands and expectations.

Download the Educational Disruption cover sheet. (PDF 157.3KB)


Page last updated: 30 Jun 2016